I have always wanted to make my mums beef rendang. This is somehow close enough but I made it a dry version rather than making it the curry version. It is best to serve this with rice. I forgot to take the end picture..apologies..I will ensure that I put it up the next time I make it :) Enjoy! :)
500gram beef fillet, cut into thin slices
Oil as required
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon coriander powder
1 tablespoon star anise powder
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 tablespoon cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
1 cup warm water
1 teaspoon tamarind paste
3 tablespoon toasted coconut
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
Salt to taste
2 onions (sliced)
1 teaspoon ginger paste
1 cinnamon stick
2 cardamon pods
2 star anise
1. Add the coriander powder,star anise powder,chili powder,cumin powder,black pepper powder into a bowl.
2. Pour 1 cup of warm water into the bowl and mix into a smooth paste.
3. Add the tamarind paste into the bowl.
4. Leave the bowl aside.
5. Add the beef and vinegar into a non stick pot and boil for around 10 minutes. Drain the excess liquid from the meat.
6. Heat oil in a wok and add all Ingredient B. Fry until onions are golden brown.
7. Add the boiled beef and fry until the meat becomes crispy.
8. Remove the beef from the wok.
9. Add the smoothed paste from the bowl into the wok and fry 2 minutes.
10. Add the toasted coconut and fry for 2 minutes.
11. Add the fried beef into the wok.
12. Cook until the gravy is thickened.
13. Add salt to taste.