250g red lentils
1 tablespoon oil
2 teaspoon garlic&ginger paste (or 2 cloves garlic & 1 teaspoon ginger)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
3-5 cups of water (you will need to check on the dhal for this - depends how thick/watery you want the dhal to be)
To garnish :
2 tablespoon cumin seeds or 1 onion
- Wash lentils and soak for half an hour (if you do not want to soak , thats ok, you just have to cook them for a bit longer)
- Drain lentils
- Heat oil in pot and add onions,garlic and ginger
- Once onion browns, add turmeric and stif well for 1 minute.
- Add lentils,salt and garam masala and fry for 2 minutes
- Add water accordingly, bring to boil,then reduce heat to simmer.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes (depending on how much water you have added into the pot)
- You will find the lentils cooked when they appear soft and similar to porridge.
- If there is too much water, take the cover off the pot and leave until the extra water is drained.
- Off the fire.
- To garnish : Add oil into a frying pan. Add onion or cumin seeds until brown.Once browned, add directly into the lentils pot.Stir for 1 minute and cover pot.
- Serve cooked lentils with bread or rice. I usually have it with rice and omelet.